Croeso i Reilffordd Llyn Tegid  
"Lein Alice a'i ffrindiau"   

Our Steam Locomotives

Bala Lake Railway aims to run steam trains on each day of timetabled operation. All of the 5 steam locos currently at Llanuwchllyn were built by the Hunslet Engine Co. of Leeds, England. Each of the Hunslet locomotives are 0-4-0 ST (saddle tanks) and were all made for the extensive 2ft narrow gauge systems that operated in both the Dinorwic and the Penrhyn Slate Quarries in North Wales.

Operational Locomotives

Alice, Hunslet works no. 780

Built in 1902, Alice is the sister engine to Holy War (No. 779). She worked at Dinorwic until about 1960. She was then used for spare parts at the quarry and purchased as a source of spare parts by the then owner of Holy War.

In 1977 the remaining parts were gathered together at the Bala Lake Railway and in 1987 these remains were purchased by BLR volunteer worker Chris Scott & work started on restoration. The remains were later moved to the owner's garage, the Ffestiniog Railway and onto the Leighton Buzzard Railway who agreed to finance the new boiler.

Alice returned to steam in 1994, having been rebuilt in the style of quarry locomotives - cabless and with dumb buffers made from large lumps of timber. The locomotive moved back to the Bala Lake Railway in 2003.

Alice was purchased in 2010 by Julian Birley.

Click here to read more about the Alice and her history

Alice, Hunslet works no. 780  

Holy War, Hunslet works no. 779

Supplied new to the Dinorwic Slate Quarry in 1902, Holy War worked up to 1,860 feet above sea level. She was the last steam locomotive to work in a British slate quarry finishing at Dinorwic in November 1967, ending 120 years of steam in the quarries.

After leaving Dinorwic she was taken to Quainton Road, near Aylesbury, for preservation. In 1975, Holy War was purchased by Rev. Alan Cliff, then Minister of Wrexham Methodist Church and arrived at Llanuwchllyn that December. Following overhaul she entered passenger service in 1979 and has worked regularly ever since, except for extensive boiler repairs 1985-1987. Holy War was purchased from Alan Cliff by the railway company in 1989, securing her long term future at Llanuwchllyn.

 Holy War, Hunslet works no. 779

Maid Marian, Hunslet works no. 822

Maid Marian was built in 1903 and delivered to Dinorwic where it worked until 1964 when she was withdrawn from service. In 1965 a group of enthusiasts clubbed together, formed the Maid Marian Locomotive Fund (MMLF) and bought the loco for preservation.

Maid Marian has been on the Bala Lake Railway since 1975 has the frames and many of the numbered parts of King of the Scarlets (HE 492 of 1889) due to the works at the Dinorwic Quarry swapping components around when major overhauls took place.

Late in 2004, Maid Marian was withdrawn from service and stripped down so that a new boiler could be made. This work, entirely paid for by members of the MMLF was completed by end of 2006 and the loco was rebuilt in the Llanuwchllyn workshops of the Bala Lake Railway, re-entering service 28 May 2007 resplendent in the colour scheme she carried while at Dinorwic.

Maid Marian, Hunslet works no. 822 

Locomotives Undergoing Restoration

George B, Hunslet works no. 680

Built in 1898 and originally named 'Wellington', the engine was purchased from Dinorwic in 1965 by Alan White who moved the loco to Ashchurch, Gloucestershire home of the Dowty Railway Preservation Society. The engine ran for a couple of years on the Dowty line but was withdrawn from service in 1969 and stripped down to enable a total overhaul to be carried out. Due to changing circumstances, while much work has been done on components, the loco was not reconstructed.

Following an agreement between Alan White and Bala Lake Railway, all the parts have now been moved to Llanuwchllyn to enable full rebuild to take place. Steady reconstruction work has happened since its arrival and it is hoped that once complete, the loco will join the working fleet hauling passenger trains.

George B, Hunslet works no. 680 

Winifred, Hunslet works no. 364

Winifred was built in 1885 by the Hunslet Engine Company for the Penrhyn Slate Quarry. She spent most of her working life at Port Penrhyn where she sorted wagons of slate ready for loading onto ships for transport all over the world. She then spent the last ten years of her life working in the quarry itself.

When the quarry decided to change to diesel locomotives she was sold and transported to America where she spent the next 50 years in a museum store out of sight.

She was purchased by Julian Birley in 2012 and brought home to Wales. She is now being overhauled so she can steam again.

Click here to read more about the Winifred and her history

Winifred, Hunslet works no. 364

Our Diesel Locomotives

The Bala Lake Railway is home to four diesel locomotives. The diesels are used to haul steam engines out of their shed in the mornings to enable them to raise steam, to move carriages into the main platform to form up the days train and to haul wagons around the railway for maintenance purposes.

Bob Davies, Baguley Drewery, works no. 780

Bob Davies is the railways main standby diesel, used to haul out of season trains, for yard shunting and goods or works train haulage.

Our Baguley Drewery 0-4-0 loco was built as 2ft 6in gauge for the Royal Navy at Fishgaurd, purchased by Pete Briddon's Yorkshire Engine Company and regauged to 2ft and named 'Bob Davies' in honour of a remarkable railway man, the loco was ultimately sold to the Bala Lake Railway Company.
Bob Davies

Chilmark, Ruston & Hornsby, works no. 194771

The oldest of the railways diesels is Chilmark, 40DL diesel mechanical 3-speed built in 1939 for the Air Ministry. It was used by the Royal Air Force for hauling explosives and ammunition at RAF Chilmark, Wiltshire.

The loco was purchased in 1976 and heavily rebuilt following its December arrival at Llanuwchllyn. Chilmark was out of use for some years however, following being purchased in 2013 by Patrick Ridley-Martin, a replacement engine was fitted and she has returned to the operational fleet of locomotives.
Chilmark

Lady Madcap, Ruston & Hornsby, works no. 283512 of 1949

Lady Madcap is a Ruston & Hornsby 30DL which sees only occasional use for light shunting and ballast ploughing duties.
Lady Madcap

Merionnydd, Severn-Lamb, Works No. 22

Bo-Bo diesel-hydrostatic Meirionnydd was built for the railway by Severn Lamb, of Stratford-upon-Avon in 1973. She is based on a Western class standard gauge locomotive outline design.

Meirionnydd has had a overhaul with a new engine fitted and work to its hydraulic system is ongoing.

The locomotive, will hopefully, be fully restored to working order and be externally refurbished in the not too distant future.
Merionnydd